June 29, 2011

Making Baby Food

So this is my first attempt to make baby food.  We will see how this goes and how long it lasts! Organic carrots are the first veggies I am trying.  I failed to take a "before" picture, but I put the carrots in a baking dish and roasted them.  This will probably be the method I use every time I make baby food, along with steaming (gotta keep those nutrients in)!  Yes, it might sound time-consuming but just one hour of cooking and preparation makes a lot of food for the future (not to mention the health and cost benefits too).  Here's how I did it and if Ella liked them or not:

After carrots were done baking I blended to desired consistency. This part is actually kind of fun!

When done pureeing I put some aside for Ella then the rest in ice trays, covered with plastic wrap, then put them in the freezer.

After frozen I transferred the cubes into a Ziploc freezer bag and put in freezer. Done!


Now, for the moment of truth...
 MMmmmmm!!


Didn't last long though.  A few bites later the smiles turned into this,


and this,
and then some gagging, but I won't show that picture!

Poor Ella.  I think I probably need to add a little more water to the carrots when I thaw them out. Might have been a little too bitter. Whoops! Trial and error though, right? 

By the way, I love the website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/, that's where I got most all of the ideas on how to make and store baby food.

Also, Ella turned 6 months old today! Will have that post later!

2 comments:

  1. You will be so glad you did this! I still steam and freeze veggies for Miller so I can just thaw them for him. Obviously I don't puree them anymore. He is such a good, healthy eater {for now} and I contribute it mostly to the homemade baby food. Just FYI, most of the purees seem to get more watery after freezing and thawing. I always made mine a little thicker since you can always add water later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GrandaddyJuly 12, 2011

    Roasted & steaming organic carrots. My poor malnourished granddaughter. When I get back up there I'll fix Ella a steak & some mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete